I am going after the third language skill which is listening. Like reading, listening is a receptive skill, this means that a person respond to the language rather than producing it. Listening involves understanding spoken language and some of the characteristics of listening are:
- Disappears as soon as it is spoken.
- Indicates sentences and meaningful groups of words through stress and intonation.
- Consists of sounds, single words, or sentences joined together in connected speech.
- The speaker uses body language to support his/her communication.
- Is not so well organized.
- Gestures and facial expressions are used.
- It contains interruptions and hesitations.
- Often uses rather general vocabulary and simple grammar.
There exists reason for listening such as:
- Listening for gist.
- Listening for specific information.
- Listening for detail.
- Listening for attitude.
- Listening for extensive listening.
There are also listening steps:
- Pre-listening: warm up with visualization or by telling a story.
- Main first listening: ask questions, second listening and focusing on specific questions.
- Post listening: summarize.